So, we have been surfing in Medewi Beach for the last week and we have become a little better accustomed to the way things work here! I have bought a new board, 8 ft long by a local shaper from Kuta, and Philipp now also has a nice little 6,2 ft shortboard. It is great to have a board to call one's own!
Medewi is a small place, actually only a little road leading to the beach from one of the the main highways to Java. We travelled by motorbike from Canggu to Medewi, leaving before the crack of dawn to avoid the trucks to Java. It was a smooth trip with Philipp driving, two boards on a rack on the side, and me in the back with the big backpack on- and both of us of course with helmets and anti-pollution masks :). I love our little Honda "Vario"!
At first arrival in Medewi, I feared I might get bored quite soon, since there is not much here other than a rocky beach, some small homestays and one hotel. But we found a nice place to stay right on the beach where we can hang out on our own little balcony and watch the cows, the traditional fisherboats and the ocean. This it what I had imagined it to be like!- minus the ants, the cockroaches and the bucket-flushed toilet :). But, hey, thanks to DEET and other invaluable insecticides, life has become very delightful!
Louis, our now good friend from Neederland, has joined us and the two of us are taking surfing lessons with Danny, a local guy from Negara. Louis and I have been progressing in our surf skills quite remarkably! We surfed in Balian as well, a surfspot that can get quite big. I have learned that, no, big waves do not kill you...but they can be f**'in fun! And I think that is a truly good lesson for the upcoming months.
Other memorable events were: grilled King Prawns fresh from the fishermen at the beach, riding the motorbike trough the rice fields, avoiding potholes on the road going 60 Km/h, going to the night market in Negara, eating Goat Sate, meeting 70 year old surferdudes that keep up the spirit!, eating Mie Goreng Telur one too man times,...and vomiting half the night, playing cards with Louis aka. "The Poofter", seeing a very poisonous green tree snake on the road at night, trying- and not succeeding- to eat stew of unknown barbaric contents, and waking up to the sound of the ocean in the morning :). Until soon, Karoline
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment